Who are you?
Hi, I’m
Ted. I’m a medical student.
Why are you doing this?
Medical school applications are notoriously tedious. When I decided to apply, I spent a large amount of time seeking advice from clinicians, medical students, graduate students, and other applicants. What I found was that the vast majority of information I came across were either 1/ inaccurate, 2/ speculation or 3/ riddled with anxiety. Trying to sieve out the genuine, helpful advice from a sea of speculation does not make for an enjoyable pastime. I don’t wish the same fate on others.
So here
are some useful advices I’ve been given, along with some insights of my own. To
the best of my knowledge, the information presented is accurate and is bourn largely
out of my own experience with the application process. A disclaimer: I can only
comment on the schools I’ve applied to and the schools I’ve interviewed at.
Writing
and organizing all my notes and thoughts on the process takes an enormous
amount of time and effort. If you found this website helpful, please pay it
forward by contributing to my birthday campaign on charity:water.
What schools did you apply to?
From west
to east:
University
of British Columbia*
University
of Calgary*
University
of Saskatchewan*
University
of Manitoba*
University
of Western Ontario
McMaster
University
University
of Ottawa
Queen’s
University
McGill
University*
*Out of
province applicant
Which schools did you interview
at?
University
of British Columbia
University
of Saskatchewan
University
of Manitoba
University
of Western Ontario
McMaster
University
Queen’s
University
I did not
meet the academic cut-off for Calgary in my application cycle.
Ottawa sent regrets (along with flowers) post-file review, citing insufficient extracurriculars.
Ottawa sent regrets (along with flowers) post-file review, citing insufficient extracurriculars.
McGill simply told me that I should not be allowed near sick people.
I was
accepted first-round into all 6 schools post-interview.
How did they ever let a bum like you
in to med school?
I don’t know. I’ve always assumed it was an administrative error. But here’s what I did.
I don’t know. I’ve always assumed it was an administrative error. But here’s what I did.
Hi, do you still monitor this blog? I have some questions regarding the interview at University of Manitoba. Do you remember the format of their MMI? How many stations and what type of stations?
ReplyDelete