Should I read Doing Right?
I read
Doing Right. Actually, I read it three times. Some people say that it is
unnecessary, while I think most people would acknowledge that it’s helpful. The
case studies may not correlate exactly to the ethical scenarios you encounter
at an MMI. For example, I found the ethical scenarios at McMaster and
Saskatchewan to be mostly outside of medicine, but I still found it helpful as
a framework to consider different perspectives.
The
general advice is to read Doing Right, but don’t memorize it. Just be familiar
with the basic concepts and how they apply to the case studies presented. Be
familiar with concepts surrounding autonomy, beneficence, and justice, and how
they would apply to special cases such as the incapable, the elderly, or the
young. The case studies in the book make for great MMI questions! I’ve had a
few stations at some schools that were taken almost verbatim from Doing Right.
Remember
- schools do not expect you to be an expert in bioethics - you will learn this
in med school, however, demonstrating that you are aware of the issues involved
and showing preparedness goes a long way to creating a positive impression.
No comments:
Post a Comment