Monday, 19 August 2013

Framework for Quotation Questions


Framework for answering QUOTES questions.

A subset of MMI prompts will present with a quote and the simple instructions to “discuss with interviewer.” I had a lot of trouble with these as I felt that the question was open-ended but the interviewers expected you to address specific points. I learned this the hard way after an embarrassing 8 minutes with an aggressive interviewer who told me that I had told him nothing. What they’re really looking for is for you to define what the quote means to you, and correlate that to a personal experience that exemplifies the quality. Essentially this is the “give an example where you …” question in disguise. To that end, here’s a framework I developed for answering quotation questions.

1. Define what the quote means in its original context to its original author.
2. Explain what this quote would mean to you.
3. Give a personal example that exemplifies the quote.
4. (optional) Give a personal example of how this might relate to you and medicine.

An example question:

“Try not to become a man of success but a man of virtue.” - Albert Einstein
Discuss the quote with the interviewer.

Follow-up questions:

What does success mean to you?

What does a man of virtue look like to you?

Can you think of an example in your life where you chose virtue over success?

No comments:

Post a Comment